Saturday, May 26, 2007

Strawberry Sunburn

Today Jube and I went to the Pungo Strawberry Festival. It was really fun. The weather is really hot now, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky today, so I tried to be good and covered up with sunscreen. It worked on my face, but I didn't get it right on my collarbones, so I have little red sunburn streaks. At least it's better than the half-body sunburn I got once in Spain...

The Strawberry Festival reminded me a little bit of the county fair in my home town. There were funnelcakes and carnival rides galore along with some livestock and tractor showings. There were also some definite "Hampton Roads" additions: a military show, where we saw attack dogs and were able to handle assault weapons; a "Support National Confederate History Month" booth; and barbecue sandwiches with cole slaw right inside the bun. And of course, there were lots and lots of strawberries.

The highlight of the day for me was the two huge souvenir glasses of strawberry lemonade I drank. I didn't need dinner after the amount of sugar I consumed! The other highlight was just lazing in the shade (with my big glass of strawberry lemonade) and chatting with Lorene and Jube. It was really relaxing, especially after our busy morning!

You see, on Friday we went to the Disabled Army Veterans' Thrift Store to buy Jube some ties. While we were there, we saw a great desk for only $20--but DAV doesn't deliver and we don't have a pickup truck. My friend Rosa does, but she could only make it by Saturday morning at the earliest. So today we woke up early, drove out to DAV, and snatched our desk out from under the nose of someone who was eyeing it! Rosa helped us drive it home, and then we had to take it apart, take it up to the third floor, and put it back together again. By the time we left for the Strawberry Festival I was already sweating.

Of course the best showers are after being hot all day long because you feel like you've lost weight (bye bye sweat and dust!). I learned that in France during the heatwave summer of 2003, which was coincidentally when Jube passed the oral section of the English teaching test. Kudos! I say--I could barely think and all I had to do was go to the beach!

No comments: