Thursday, May 24, 2007

Pronunciation Fun!

Jube and I watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind today. It is anime and we watched it in the original Japanese with subtitles. It is a pretty interesting story that includes giant insects called "ohmu" that destroy human towns when they get angry. At the end of the movie, there is a huge wave of ohmu that get pissed. When I saw the masses, I turned to Jube and said, "Wow, there sure are a lot of ohmu!" But I pronounced "ohmu" "ohmo." And I was saying it in French, so really it looked like I was saying, "Waoh, il y a beaucoup d'homos!"--or, "Wow, there sure are a lot of homos!"

We laughed for awhile about that.

It reminds me of watching Sabrina with Jube in France. As you may remember, the older brother's name is Linus. In French, it sounds similar to l'anus (anus). We made lots of jokes about being in love with l'anus, spending quality time with l'anus... It made for an enjoyable evening.

Which finally reminds me of the first time Jube described his favorite drink--the regional drink of the south, Pastis--in English. I would say that it tastes something like licorice, but Jube decided to say it tastes like "anis." Which he pronounced "anus":

"Yeah, it's great! It tastes just like anus!"

1 comment:

Doc said...

I personally think his sprnunciation was spot on.

But then I like champagne...