Wednesday, June 27, 2007

All I Ever Needed

My week of "vacation" has been going really great so far! I haven't had to wake up before 10am on any day and I haven't even been thinking about work.

On the other hand, I started a new class on Monday night, so I've been reading a lot of text books. And working on the papers I still have left over from a few weeks ago hasn't really happened yet, either...

Jube was surprised on Tuesday morning by being offered a week-long job at nights, so I've been free to do whatever I want. And "whatever I want" means watching So You Think You Can Dance, my new favorite show!

I never used to like dance. I thought it was boring, the "stories" were grafted on, and the music was the high point. Then in college one of my closest friends and roommates happened to be a dancer. I was subjected to numerous viewings of Center Stage, which must finally have convinced me that dancing was cool. [I still don't recommend the movie unless you are really into dance. I don't think I'll ever watch it without Catherine...] By my senior year I had watched White Nights without coercion and cried at student recitals. I like dance now. So, without further introduction, enjoy the latest YouTube offering of my favorite dance from the first "competition" episode of SYTYCD (see? I'm already up on the lingo!):




EDIT:

And this is the video I originally wanted to post, but it wasn't up yet on YouTube. I think it is my favorite dance of all...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haa. I have rather the same story about dance! And a certain movie. Which I might have bought for $6 at Walmart one day in a fit of nostalgia.

- N

Gem said...

:P I have to admit that I caught it on TV once in Spain and watched the first half--it was my first week there and I didn't have to understand the words since I had memorized them!

Anonymous said...

Is this broadcast in the US or Europe?? The accents in the interviews at the start don't sound American...I definitely want to try watching on our Big Screen!!!

Gem said...

It is broadcast Wednesday nights 8-10 (competition, real dancing) and Thursday nights 9-10 (the elimination show, less interesting) on FOX. Jube thinks like you--"The Brits are taking over American TV!"

Leah said...

Oh man, I love SYTYCD(took me a sec there to get that one!) I also have been subjected to Centerstage by a friend who just happens to love tween movies and I grew to like it. I'm a fan of Save the Last Dance myself. Used to dance for many years back in my pre-college days, so I feel I'm allowed!

Anonymous said...

i feel so influential! are you sure that it was me, or was it another housemate (hummer, perhaps?) that really solidified your love of center stage? this post makes me really want tv!!!!
-Catherine

Gem said...

I'm pretty sure it was you, unless her getting pissed off because I wouldn't admit that Center Stage was a true cinematic masterpice (that could help girls conquer their anorexia) had more of a positive effect than I can remember...