Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Synchronicity

I am taking a French linguistics course this semester and I am learning all sort of phonological words and descriptions. It doesn't seem like this is very practical or even applicable to my daily routine, but as I was writing a work e-mail this morning, I made a typo and wrote, "convusing." The little red spell-check underline popped up, and I looked more closely at the word. But wait a minute, I thought, that's not a spelling error - that's a natural linguistic evolution: la sonorisation!

So I was right on one count: the class is NOT practical. But I was wrong on the other: apparently it is quite applicable to my daily routine.

1 comment:

Helene said...

check out Gene Weingarten in the Washington Post for some more Linguistic entertainment!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/18/AR2010111805021.html