Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Summer Plans

I know I haven't posted in more than a week, but it's because my mom was here visiting! Yay for visits! She and my cousin both came, and we've had a great time despite the sweltering weather. We visited the normal places--Montpellier centre ville, Pont du Gard, Avignon, Aigues Mortes, and the best was that we rented a car and drove to Barcelona for two nights! Yay for practicing my Spanish (boo for forgetting so much of it). I won't go on and on, because I think it must be amazingly boring to hear about other people's travels, but I had a great 10 days with my family. I think Jube was a bit overwhelmed by the girliness of the visit, but nothing too stressful.

In other news, he has finished teaching for the year! Now we have some vacation time to spend together. Of course, we will be spending it looking for a new apartment in Nice (or the surrounding area), packing up, moving out, unpacking, etc. Hopefully we will be able to find the time to go to Norway, but somehow I doubt we will be able to take advantage of the super low fares. Sigh.

I'm very sad to think about leaving Montpellier! I want to stay here forever and ever! I love this city, I feel like it's my home. I realized this while ushering my family to "my favorite place, my favorite market, my favorite restaurant... The English assistant at Jube's college this year told him she liked Nice much better than Montpellier. "Nice was much prettier, a nicer city," she said, adding the oh-so-original "Nice is nice." I must admit that I felt the sting of anger after he told me that. "How could anyone think that any other city in the entire world is better than Montpellier??" I thought. I know that Jube told me she liked it better to make me feel better about leaving, but I still feel remnants of jealousy that she got to work closer to him than I did, so the fact that she was dissin' my 'hood pissed me off (hehe).

On a better note, today I bought two books about traveling/working/studying in France to make myself feel better about the move. I hope it works!

No comments: