Sunday, January 03, 2010

2009 Mememe

Since I did such a bad job of keeping this updated throughout 2009, I figure I'll answer all those burning questions you have. Here's a meme to cut down on the work. If you leave a question in the comments, I'll get to it. I'm sure you've got a desire to know something about me...

Anyway, to business:

1. What did you do in 2009 that you've never done before?
Completed a full 12-month year at a job.

2. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope.

3. Did anyone close to you die?
Nope.

4. What countries did you visit?
I didn't visit any foreign countries, but I have some trips planned for 2010!

5. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
I can't think of anything I want right now - everything is great chez Gem et Jube! Maybe a pair of boots? A new stamp in the passport?

6. What were the highlights of 2009?
Jube's family came to visit during the summer and we went to New York City. Also I bought tickets to see Muse. Also my friend Lorene got engaged!

7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Planning some major events at work and having them come off pretty perfectly!

8. What was your biggest failure?
I don't feel like I failed at anything unless you count messing up a new recipe or something...

9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Only a cold or two. Some bruises.

10. What was the best thing you bought?
A new car! I love my little Hyundai!

11. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I'm not sure what to say. Le Pacha's? He got a great new job. Hooray! And Jube got a new job, too. Yippee!

12. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I was only depressed while reading books that made me think about people dying. So I guess some authors' behavior... Thanks a lot Connie Willis and Ken Follet! Appalled? Basically every decision made by US Customs and Immigration Services officials appalled me.

13. Where did most of your money go?
On boring stuff mostly - I guess on food, rent, gas. Normal things, right?

14. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
To Say Nothing of the Dog and a possible visit to Spain in 2010!

15. What song(s) will always remind you of 2009?
No song comes to mind. I guess "Bad Romance"?

16. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
No difference. Still basically happy with my life!

ii. thinner or fatter?
About the same, even though I started going to the pool twice a week! (Now that I write it out, it doesn't sound like that much. Maybe I should add another night?)

iii. richer or poorer?
Personally: the same. The household: richer. Yay!

17. What do you wish you'd done more of?
More of the pool! Also housecleaning more consistently.

18. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Reading trashy novels (heh, not really!).

19. What was the hardest thing you did this year?
Remember those two big events I planned for work? That. Really hard. Also hard: keeping the house clean. It didn't work very well.

20. What was the best thing you did this year?
Not freaking out about anything (at least not too much!).

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I stayed in love!

22. How many one night stands?
Oh man, who's reading this site? OK, I'll tell you: about 15. But you have to keep it a secret!

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Jube and I both enjoy The Office, but the Fall 2009 season of Survivor was really great! We love you, Russell!

24. What was the best book you read?
I liked Lavinia, Doomsday Book, To Say Nothing of the Dog, and The Pillars of the Earth. The best was probably Lavinia. I'm warning you: three of the four made me cry.

25. What were your greatest musical discoveries?
Lady GaGa. Haha, no, probably Frou Frou and Universal Hall Pass.

26. What did you want and get?
A new car! If you will it, it is no dream.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?
I liked District 9 and Good Hair.

28. What did you do on your birthday and how old did you turn?
I turned 27! I went out to an Indian restaurant with my mom, brother + girlfriend, and Jube. Then we ate a humongous Whole Foods cake. Jube bought me a laptop!

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A shorter commute. Until I got my car in November, I took an hour/hour and a half bus ride. It really eats into your day!

30. What kept you sane?
Mon Jube! Also instant Indian food and frozen pierogies. I can't say enough about good, easy-to-make food. Oh, and did I mention my officemate Em? She's the greatest!

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept for 2009?
Always remember to put on your jewelry before you leave the house. No Chanel crap about taking a piece off!

32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Healthcare. I find myself yelling at the radio on the way home. Probably raises my blood pressure.

33. Who did you miss?
BB! For the first time in years he didn't come to visit! I guess he has better things to do, that sucker.

34. Who was the best new person you met?
My friend Lorene's fiance Jay. Thank you, Jay, for bringing her to Washington!

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Oh lord I think I'm going to vomit. Life lesson? Oh wait, I've got one! Always remember to check that you're in your own Amazon account before you buy .mp3 albums! This is an important one for a long and successful marriage.

No comments: