Sunday, August 05, 2007

Mystery Science Theater 2007

I don't usually yell at the TV. If something is funny, I'll make a joke about it with Jube; maybe I'll make fun of the way the commercials sound, or we'll laugh about the stupid answers on "Family Feud." Today, though, I couldn't help shouting back at the television. We were watching the Republican Presidential Primary Debate in Iowa. Why did we watch it? Well, at first I changed the channel, but there wasn't anything else on (no cable for us). Then I figured that since Virginia primaries are open, I could vote for the lesser of 15 evils when the time comes around. So I watched it. I soon discovered quite a few things:

-One candidate actually proposed bombing Mecca as a hypothetical reaction to Islamic terrorist action in the US. Jube said, "Not even Le Pen would say that--even if he dreams about it!"

-Rudy Giuliani can't get over being mayor of New York. We get it--you were mayor! You were even mayor during 9/11! WE KNOW. You don't have to mention it every time you answer a question.

-Fundamentalism is alive and well: when asked his greatest mistake, one candidate answered, "I waited 30 years before accepting Jesus Christ as my personal savior." That's great, but I would have been more interested in a political mistake.

I felt a little bit sick to my stomach and had a headache from yelling at the screen. The French election was more fun for me to follow--all of a sudden, I'm realizing how this will personally affect me. I'm back in the US, baby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the one who, when asked about mistakes he had made in the past, replied that he hadn't said "I love you" enough to his wife and children.
It must take a lot of strength and political courage to give such an honest, compromising answer, seriously.
Tough guys.

Doc said...

What's even more frightening to me than Mr. Let's Bomb Mecca are the people who agree with him, who think That's the Right solution.

Honestly, has moving back been as frightening as the political arena makes it seem it would be? I'm afraid I wouldn't recognize anything any more.

Gem said...

It's difficult to answer your question... I mean, I was only "gone" for 2 years (2004-2006), so things haven't changed so much. Plus, I lived in small-town Ohio before, so the religious right/republicans are no stranger to me. Here in Norfolk there is a different atmosphere, since there are so many servicemen in the area. I just can't believe how intolerant others are of difference. I'm not sure if I notice it more because I changed regions or if I became more sensitive to it from my years abroad. The hardest thing for me is the vilification of "political correctness." All of a sudden there is "reverse discrimination" against Whites (yeah right!) and prejudice against Christianity by minority religions (uh huh). I find myself holding in my political opinions because I don't want to be drawn into a huge debate.

Ahh well. I haven't had too much difficulty readapting, but I do see Americans in general with clearer eyes...